- With a slogan "A Great City for the Arts and Outdoors" the city of Eugene in Oregon is definitely a place you would want to move to. This town is also known as the "Emerald City" and "Track Town, USA". Whichever way you like it, we at West Coast East Coast Express can help get you relocated to Eugene. With us, you will be given a fair moving price quote, professional movers, access to our customer services, moving trucks, as well as all the necessary packing materials.
- But before you begin the moving process, it might we smart to take a closer look at Eugene, Oregon.
Moving to Eugene, Oregon with West Coast East Coast Express
About Eugene, Oregon
- The city of Eugene lies at the southern end of the Willamette Valley, near the McKenzie and Willamette Rivers, some 50 miles away from the coast. The first settlers of the area that is today Eugene were most likely the Kalapuyans. By the beginning of the 19th century, they were followed by French fur traders who settled seasonally in the Willamette Valley.
- The city was named Eugene in 1889 in honor of Eugene Franklin Skinner, who ran a ferry service across the Willamette River. He arrived in the Willamette Valley in 1846 with more than a thousand other colonists. Advised by the Kalapuyans to build on high ground to avoid flooding, he erected the first Anglo cabin, which was later turned into the first post office in Eugene.
The Weather in Eugene, Oregon
- Eugene lies in the Marine West Coast climate zone, with cool summer Mediterranean climate. Summers in Eugene are warm and dry, while winters are cool and wet. Spring and fall also see quite a bit of precipitation, with light rain falling for long periods. Snow is relatively regular, but it rarely accumulates - the average seasonal amount is around 5 inches. The hottest months are July and August, with average highs of around 82 °F, while about 15 days per year have temperatures above 90 °F. The coolest month is December, with the average daytime high in the mid-40s, and nights averaging just above the freezing point.
- If you suffer from seasonal allergies, you should know that the combination of summer grass pollen and the shape of the hills around the city mean that Eugene has the highest pollen counts in the country. These have often led to difficulties for athletes who compete here. For example, in the Olympic trials in 1972, Jim Ryun had to be flown in by helicopter because he was allergic to Eugene's grass seed pollen. Further, six-time Olympian Maria Mutola stopped training in this area "in part to avoid allergies".
The Economy of Eugene, Oregon
- Eugene's largest industries are wood products manufacturing and recreational vehicle manufacturing. The city’s biggest employers are PeaceHealth Medical Group , the University of Oregon , and the Eugene School District .
- In addition, the city is home to the corporate headquarters for the employee-owned Bi-Mart corporation and family-owned Market of Choice. Other major employers of the city include Organically Grown Company, Golden Temple, Merry Hempsters, Springfield Creamery, Mountain Rose Herbs, Shoe Goo, Green Gear Cycling, as well as many multinational businesses (Nike, Taco Time, and Brøderbund Software).
THE ECONOMY OF EUGENE, OREGON
- Whatever your personal interests are, you will definitely find something right up your alley in this city. Eugene is noted for a significant population of people in pursuit of original, alternative ideas. These ideas often culminate in things such as the Eugene Saturday Market, open every Saturday from April through November. It was founded in 1970 as the first "Saturday Market" in the country. Then there's the Lane County Farmer's Market, where all vendors create or grow their own products. Some of the cultural events that take place in the city are:
- - The KLCC Microbrew Festival ,
- - Asian Celebration ,
- - Mount Pisgah Arboretum ,
- - Oregon Festival of American Music by the Shedd Institute , Oregon Bach Festival ,
- - Lane County Fair , and
- - The Eugene/Springfield Pride Festival.
- In addition, Eugene is home to marvelous museums. These include the University of Oregon's Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art and the Museum of Natural and Cultural History . There is also the Oregon Air and Space Museum , that is just as fun as it sounds. A number of cultural organizations reside in this city as well. These include the Eugene Symphony, the Eugene Ballet, the Eugene Opera, and the Eugene Concert Choir. If you are a fan of performing arts, you will definitely want to visit the Hult Center for the Performing Arts , The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts , the Matthew Knight Arena , the Beall Concert Hall and much more. The visual arts community of Oregon consists of several dozen private art galleries and a number of organizations, including Maude Kerns Art Center , the Lane Arts Council , the Downtown Initiative for the Visual Arts , the Hult Center's Jacobs Gallery , and the Eugene Glass School .
- American football is especially popular among the population of Eugene, with intense rivalries between the Ducks and both the Oregon State University Beavers and the University of Washington Huskies . Eugene has also been dubbed the "Track and Field Capital of the World." for nearly 40 years. It is home to a developed network of jogging trails, including the Pre's Trail in Alton Baker Park, the Rexius Trail, the Adidas Oregon Trail, and the Ridgeline Trail. In fact, Eugene introduced jogging as recreation to the U.S., which Bill Bowerman brought from New Zealand. He even wrote the best-selling book called "Jogging". Eugene will host the 2021 World Championships in Athletics.
- To find more information on Eugene, feel free visit the official website of the city .
- If you have made up your mind about moving, we are here to help you! West Coast East Coast Express is a team of moving professionals dedicated to achieving ultimate satisfaction with all our customers. We provide a wide array of moving services, including:
- - Interstate residential moving
- - Interstate corporate moving
- - Moving supplies
- - Open and enclosed car shipping services
- - Loading and unloading services
- - Climate-controlled storage units
- - Professional packing services
- - And much more.
- Give us a call today to receive more information. Our customer support representatives will provide you with the best moving quotes in the country. Call West Coast East Coast Express movers to schedule your relocation to Eugene and start breathing in some fresh air (watch out for that pollen, though!). We are looking forward to hearing from you!